Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Jan. 25th, 2002

So, all week I've been disciplining myself to get up around 9 each morning, so I can get some work done before classes and whatnot, and basically wear myself out during the day so that I might actually sleep at night. It's been mostly working. But I also have been doing this so that, hopefully, I'll have my evenings free to hang out with folks.

I discovered exactly why that was necessary last night. Pat's a pretty good friend of mine - I got to know him pretty well last year when he lived next door to me. He's got some heavy-duty problems to get through - OCD, depression, possibly bipolar...the list goes on. Needless to say, this leads to a lot of problems. Fortunately, he does go to people when he needs help - he doesn't try to take everything on by himself all the time. At least, that's what it seems like to me, because I'm usually one of the ones he goes looking for when he needs help.

And he needed it last night.

His girlfriend, who he'd fallen head over heels in love with last year, broke up with him pretty suddenly. Ack. With Pat, something like this is never a simple "I love her and I'll miss her" reaction - two hours of self-doubt and flagellation later, I'm not entirely sure he managed to get anything settled for himself. It hurts so much to hear him run himself down because of this, and to doubt whether she ever loved him or not, and not be able to do anything. Matt said he was impressed by me after that (we ended up hijacking his room, since it was closest, the door was open, and he wanted to help Pat out, too), but all I did was wait for Pat to talk, really. I'm never entirely sure if I do any good after talking to him, but I try to help. I just let him talk, mostly because that's all I really can do - once he gets going, it's hard to get a word in edgewise, and if you try, he just gets angry at you for interrupting. (I've also played referee for this boy during arguments - not a role I'm wanting to return to anytime soon.)

Finally, though, I think he calmed down a bit. We walked him back to his room, where I gave him the biggest hug I possibly could (he's, shall we say, not a small man) and told him to come to me anytime he needed to talk again. It wasn't until I started walking back to my room that I realized how much my back hurt - I tend to get really tense in this situation. Probably why the migraines started kicking in a bit about an hour into it - that was fun. I couldn't just leave, so I just placed myself in such a way that he couldn't see me dropping my head or trying to get them to go away.

Sigh. So, yeah, that's why I slept in today. I only have the one class today, and then work 4-8, and then I'm free, free I tell ya! Ahem.

If nothing else, though, it proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that I'm back to Stephie, Reedie beyond compare. Or something. :)


( 1 bubble — Blow a bubble )
Jan. 31st, 2002 03:28 am (UTC)
I hope you're doing ok with the pat stuff. Sorry to have to leave so quickly last night. Once I'm not sick, feel free to grab me to complain to at any time. ::hugs::

( 1 bubble — Blow a bubble )

Latest Month

May 2015


Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner